Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    bfodrovics
    Spectator

I think this software has great potential. Please see the attached skp model with some notes
    1st skp notes.
    Thank you,
    Bela

cabwriter
    Keymaster

Hi Bela,

Thanks for the detailed feedback. Some of the features are already in there or planned, but are not exposed yet until we get the user interface working so you can change parameters. You should see that next week and be able to give it a try. We’ll put the other requests on the list for prioritization; they all make sense. Thanks for the input; we’ll let you know when there’s a new version to try. It’s hard now because you can’t change rail sizes and so on very easily like you will with the new version…

Thanks,
    Greg

bfodrovics
    Spectator

My big request is the bottom rail on base cabinets should be setup as default. I’ve seen face frame base cabinets without a bottom rail maybe 2 times in 20 years.
    I have attached our simple Face Frame one door base cabinet no dado and toe kick construction for feedback.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/syw31sjon6nlks1/feedback%202.skp?dl=0
    Thank you
    Bela

cabwriter
    Keymaster

Hi Bela,

The bottom rail will be no problem. We are getting ready to release a new version of the software that finally allows anyone to easily change all of the defaults, so you’ll be able to set the defaults any way you want. So, you’ll be able to set it up to your liking, then save those defaults for any of your designs moving forward. Sorry about the default that way, here at my cabinetmaking school, we leave the bottom rail of the face frame off because it simplifies things so much and then the bottom of the cabinet acts as a door stop and we don’t have to worry about that rail hanging down when we’re moving cabinets around. It works well with a separate ladder base for the toe kick.

Do you build all of your cabinets with an integrated toe kick? If you have a long run of cabinets, do you build individual cabinets when you have an integrated toe kick and screw them together, or is it one long run with an integrated face frame with an integrated toe kick? We don’t yet support the integrated toe kick. It’s been lower priority because we’ve been focusing on separate toe bases because they lend themselves better to the long runs of cabinets with integrated face frames. Do you ever build that way?

Is there any chance you could add to the model you sent and show what you would do for a longer run of base cabinets? I’d also be curious to see a run of upper cabinets. Then, we could get an idea of what we need to add into the software moving forward.

bfodrovics
    Spectator

Great new interface for project settings in CabWriter. The first problem I could not find a solution for in the new interface, is for the base cabinets construction. When you show a bottom rail the floor of the cabinet should be flush with the top of the bottom rail of the cabinet. I am not sure if I am missing a setting. Please advise.
    I am also attaching for feedback a wall with face frame cabinets, the way we build them. This is a flush toe,
    no dado construction. The model was done on cabinet vision and exported to Sketchup.feedback3
    Thank you,
    Bela

cabwriter
    Keymaster

Hi Bela,
    Glad you like the interface, sorry about the bottom rail problem; coincidentally, we just discovered that yesterday as well. Since I haven’t been doing a lower rail, we didn’t test that option well enough. It’s on our list to fix. On the uppers, there’s a bottom inset parameter, which we need to add to the lowers as well.

Thanks for the model; we’ll study it to see how it works with what we have. On first glance, it looks like it could just about be done now, once the bottom rail issue gets fixed. You would essentially draw it with a smaller bottom rail and no toe kick, but taller cabinets, then just pull the lower rail and cabinet sides down to the floor. There might be a little manual touch up here and there around the toe kick on the sink, but I think the rest of it is quite doable.

Do you often build with no toe kicks?

Thanks for the feedback,
    Greg

bfodrovics
    Spectator

Hi Greg,
    I always use a combination of flush toe and toe kick on a kitchen. Specially flush toe and baseboard on islands. The attached wall was a bunch of cabinets together, just for feedback. I just want to show different combinations and different connections between cabinets.
    Please see the attached SKP. of the same wall with toe kick.
    feedback3a
    Next week I will add some of our frameless construction, and dado constructions as time permits. Hopefully this help improve the software.
    Thank you,
    Bela

cabwriter
    Keymaster

Hi Bela,

Thanks for the additional model, I see how you do it now. Just curious, do you ever use a separate ladder base for your cabinets? I find them a bit easier to level when the cabinets are on a separate base; I’ve never tried your method and am curious as to the advantages. We look forward to seeing more models from you next week…

Thanks,
    Greg

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.