Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    gadgetguru
    Spectator

I have installed latest release this morning (may 17 version). For some reason i can get the story stick to do anything any more. i can set the first point but it doesn’t let me set the next point. Any ideas?

cabwriter
    Keymaster

Joe is probably best to answer this one, but he’s traveling this morning, so he won’t be available until later today. However, did you do a clean install as described in the document I sent and started with a new file? If you don’t clean out the old software, there could be some conflicts due to the shear number of changes that were made from the last version. Let us know if that works or if you’ve already done it…

Thanks,
    Greg

gadgetguru
    Spectator

Greg
    Yes i have cleaned out the plugins folder of all associated files. Also shouldn’t make a difference but just for info. I am running latest sketch 2016 on a Mac. I have also tried installing plugin several times too. No joy though.

marcus
    Spectator

I was coming here to make the same post. I’m having the same issue. This is my first time using CabWriter & was following along with the video, but can’t get past the story stick part.

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Hi Guys,

I downloaded the new release from the same place using the same link and installed it on my Mac with the latest OS and SketchUp 2016. Just two minutes ago I created the drawing below and didn’t have a Story Stick problem. Can you help me with answers to a few questions?

1. Are you drawing on a construction line with the Story Stick? You can’t just draw on the axis, it must be on a construction line.

2. Do you get a message when you attempt to use the Story Stick?

3. Try it again, this time with the Window/Ruby Console open and let me know if you see an error message there. Cut and paste it into a reply to this post.

4. Can you open the SketchUp/Preferences dialog box and select the Extensions page. Then select CabWriter and at the bottom be sure the version says May 17, 2016.

Let me know the results and I will see what I can do to help. Thanks,

Joe…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    gadgetguru
    Spectator

Joe
    I am using construction lines just like I did in previous versions.
    I am not getting any messages. I can set the first point but it doesn’t let me set the second at all. In previous versions once second point was set then I got the popup to configure stile.
    I will let you know if I see error with ruby console open.

gadgetguru
    Spectator

Joe
    Double checked version this morning and its is latest.

here is ruby console for event

Error: #<NoMethodError: undefined method `GetString’ for nil:NilClass>
    /users/ggmac/library/application support/sketchup 2016/sketchup/plugins/cabwriter/story_stick.rbs:864:in `set_prompt’

Edited by Joe Zeh to eliminate a long list of non-relevant information.

marcus
    Spectator

Here’s my error message:

Error: #<NoMethodError: undefined method `GetString’ for nil:NilClass>
    c:/users/marcus2/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2016/sketchup/plugins/cabwriter/story_stick.rbs:864:in `set_prompt’

Edited by Joe Zeh to remove a long list of non-relevant information.

I’m also using the latest version.

gadgetguru
    Spectator

Just checking to see if you had found anything that might be causing our issue? Or if its something we were doing wrong?

gadgetguru
    Spectator

Ok just to make sure i wasn’t doing something wrong. I setup a vm running windows 7 with fresh install of sketchup 2016. It has never been installed on this vm. I then downloaded the extension from link provided again just like before. Now when i try to open the dialog for editing the cab writer project it throws msg box saying it can’t find the .txt files for rough lumber and sheet goods (wasn’t getting this error when running on mac).

When i go in and create two walls the add construction lines off those walls and try to use story stick i get the same behavior as in the mac. it sets the first point but not the second.

Just wanted to get you some more info to try to find the issue.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by gadgetguru.
    cabwriter
    Keymaster

Hi,

Sorry to hear that you’re still having issues. Sorry for the slow response, both Joe and I are attending a conference through this weekend, so Joe will respond with more information later.

It’s curious that it’s happening on a totally new installation in Windows 7 because Joe suspects the problem is related to a SketchUp bug that affects plugins. Do you have a way of installing SketchUp 2015 on your Mac? That’s what I’ve been using for the past couple of years and have never experienced the problem. Also, if you have a error message dump from your Windows 7 installation, that would help as well.

Sorry for the troubles, but thanks for working with us to help solve it. Joe will be back to you later today with more info.

Thanks,
    Greg

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Hi Guys,

I am suspecting an installation problem, likely a missing SketchUp file, or a SketchUp bug. To test that could you try the following for me?

1. Clear CabWriter and CutList Bridge out of your Plugin folders just like you did for the clean install.
    2. Open the Ruby Console and in the bottom input field cut and paste the following code:

txt = “Select starting point of stile. Ctrl cycles Mode.”
    Sketchup::set_status_text $exStrings.GetString(txt), SB_PROMPT

3. Hit Enter and do not touch you mouse (make sure the Ruby Console is not covering up the Status Bar prior to this step).
    4. Look at the Status bar and see if it contains the text “Select starting point of stile. Ctrl cycles Mode.”
    5. I suspect it will not and I also suspect you will get an error message in the Ruby Console. If so please copy that message and send it to me.

Thanks,

Joe…

gadgetguru
    Spectator

Joe
    Here is what i got you were correct i didn’t get anything the status bar and got the following in the ruby console.
    > xt = “Select starting point of stile. Ctrl cycles Mode.”
    Sketchup::set_status_text $exStrings.GetString(txt), SB_PROMPT
    Error: #<NameError: undefined local variable or method `txt’ for main:Object>
    <main>:1:in `<main>’
    SketchUp:1:in `eval’

I am testing now on fresh install of 2015 on the mac like Greg suggested still see same behavior.

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Thanks for the quick response. As Greg mentioned we are at a show and it is difficult to debug or research this problem here. But I will delve into it when I get back on Saturday or Sunday. I can’t imagine what is has to do with CabWriter but somehow I will get to the bottom of it.

Thanks for your patience,

Joe…

gadgetguru
    Spectator

Joe
    No problem.
    Just as a side note. I haven’t had this issue with the previous versions of the plugins.
    Just reverified and went back to previous version and all worked as expected using 2016 on mac.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.