Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Steven Konecny
    Spectator

I don’t use side mount slides too much, but there are occasions where it’s necessary in a specialty cabinet. How would I enter that info on the Drawers tab? I tried editing a single cabinet for use with a side mount slide, but it doesn’t seem to work. It won’t draw the drawer boxes or the holes in the cabinet. I did clear out all the slide info and only entered info for 1 slide. I made sure the cabinet is deep enough to fit the drawer and the slide and double and triple checked the offsets.

If this is a no go, how would I draw the holes myself in sketchup? I know how to draw the holes, but what layer should I put it on so it exports correctly when I take it to VCarve? Editing inside VCarve is a pain, so I’d rather do it in sketchup.

cabwriter
    Keymaster

Hi Steve,

It sounds like you did the right thing; CabWriter doesn’t really know anything about the type of slide, only the info in terms of cabinet depth, hole spacing, etc. Could you email me your file at info@cabwritersoftware.com, or a link to it, so I can take a look? It might be something simple, or maybe you’ve stumbled on a bug.

Of course, you can draw holes at any time using SketchUp on the carcass sides and they will show up in the DXF. You don’t have to worry about the layers; simply draw the holes in the carcass part. If the hole is all the way through the part, CabWriter will automatically put it on the “Construction Holes” layer in the DXF, and if it only goes partway through, it’ll be put on the “System Holes” layer. I’ve done it manually at times where CabWriter can’t do it for one reason or another.

Thanks,
    Greg

Steven Konecny
    Spectator

Thanks Greg,
    I’ve already restarted that file a few times since I ran into that particular problem. I’m taking pretty big bites right now, so I might need to slow down and master some of the easier stuff first.

I will say the learning curve is pretty small if you’re a Sketchup user. I’m finding most of this fairly intuitive.

Before I go… I just tried to reproduce the problem I had before, but I’m getting an entirely different problem now. I am making a short cabinet, in between some others (for the chop saw). When I select the Drawer Bank Base with 2 Drawers, I get an error message that says “Dimensions is smaller than permitted.” I get this message twice, after clicking on OK the second time, it attempts to draw a cabinet, but it doesn’t finish, and puts part of the cabinet way off to the side, and rotated 90 degrees.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Hi Steve,

I sent you an email with the problem and solution. Let me know if you didn’t get it.

Joe….

Steven Konecny
    Spectator

Hi Joe, I emailed back just a little while ago.

I think I found the problem. The 28″ side mount slide will fit in a 702mm deep opening, the next slide down, the default 27″ Blum undermount slide says 709mm. I think that was throwing it off. I think the software is looking at the first column to determine the longest possible slide that fits, rather than the last column, like I was thinking.t

Steve

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.