Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    mattrich
    Spectator

Hey Joe/Greg,

What are your thoughts on adding a “select cabinet” or “lock/unlock” button to the CabWriter toolbar? When adding custom parts or adjusting divided cabinets it seems that I use the select cabinet options a lot to lock and unlock cabinets, and was thinking that it may be handy to have easily accessible on the toolbar. I understand that you can’t add everything to the toolbar and maybe this just didn’t make the cut? Just a thought.

Thanks,

Matt

cabwriter
    Keymaster

Hi Matt,

Interesting suggestion. I’m not sure the “Select Cabinet” options would work quite as well on the menu bar because of the sub-menus for selecting sub-components. Do you think it would be better there on the menu bar than the Right Click menu where it is now? That seems the most convenient to me. Are you more interested in the unlock function? In other words, a select and unlock combined function? Right now, you have to do it in two steps. I agree that most of the time when you’re selecting a cabinet or sub-component that you want to unlock it as well to do something with it, but not all the time.

If you can give us a little more information on the work flow you’re thinking about, maybe there’s something we can do.

Thanks,
    Greg

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Hi Matt,

I have always regretted locking the cabinets. I would be interested in what you think about CabWriter leaving them unlocked. As a developer I am always needing to unlock them to try something, and find it a pain in the butt to do. So I could be convinced to leave them unlocked and let the user select all of them and lock them when they wish to.

I am less inclined to add more tools to the toolbar. But I would like to hear others thoughts on it too. Maybe we should send a questionnaire to the users to get more opinions.

Joe….

mattrich
    Spectator

Greg and Joe,

I was thinking of having the ability to select a cabinet component and then a button that would lock/unlock the entire cabinet. It is a minor annoyance to lock and unlock cabinets but I can definitely see the benefit of not deleting or moving things unintentionally. I was adjusting divided cabinets to give some clients options to see and it seemed like I was locking and unlocking cabinets a lot, which is why I thought I would bring it to your attention. Have you guys considered implementing a customizable toolbar similar to Sketchup’s? I always find it interesting to see how people arrange their toolbar. Like I said before, it was just a thought, and definitely not a deal breaker.

Thanks,

Matt

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Hi Guys,
    What if you had a Lock and Un-Lock icon that locked or unlocked a selection. Then, if you chose one , or a number of components it would Loc/Un-Lock all selected. Would that work?
    Joe…

cabwriter
    Keymaster

Hey Guys,

Basically, we already have the ability to select any number of components or any part of a cabinet we want and then we essentially have a button to unlock them which is SketchUp’s right click and Unlock in the context menu, so not sure how useful another button in CabWriter would be to perform that same function, but something Matt said makes sense. How about in the right click context menu there is a lock/unlock cabinet function? If you click on a part of a locked cabinet, the context menu will show “Unlock Cabinet” and if it’s already unlocked, it’ll say “Lock Cabinet”. I could see that being pretty handy; you unlock a cabinet when you’re about to mess with it, then lock it when you’re done. That way you don’t have to keep locking and unlocking individual parts of the cabinet.

Matt, does that work for you, or were you thinking something different?

Thanks,
    Greg

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Scratch my last thought. It is easier to select one or more components and then right click and choose Lock/Unlock.

I don’t want to get into providing a method for selecting a cabinet and/or any of its sub-assemblies on the toolbar. That would take about six icons. I would favor never locking the cabinets or your original proposal to Lock or Unlock an entire cabinet based on the component selected. Greg, is this the kind of thing we should put to all users in an email?

Joe….

mattrich
    Spectator

Greg and Joe,

Yes that would work, having that ability in the right click menu would be just as useful, I never thought about that.

I would be interested to hear others thoughts on the usefulness of this. It seems handy to me, but I don’t want to have you guys searching for a solution to a problem that doesn’t really exist.

Since we are kind of brainstorming anyway, what about having along with an “lock/unlock cabinet” function in the right click menu, there was also a “lock/unlock subassemblies” function? So if you right click on the top FF stile of a cabinet you would have the option of “lock/unlock cabinet” or “lock/unlock subassembly”. Choosing “lock/unlock subassembly” the cabinets entire FF would be unlocked or locked?

Thanks,

Matt

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Hi Matt,

I think we have to look at what exists now and how many steps it takes to accomplish the same thing and then prioritize what efficiency improvments can be made. Right now the steps are:

1. Select a part with the Select tool.
    2. Right click and choose CabWriter > Select Sub-Assembly > Face Frame (or other sub-assembly)
    3.Right click and choose Unlock (or Lock)

Your approach would add four more categories to the right click and choose CabWriter sub-menu. It would save Step 3 above. My concern is that as the context menus/sub-menus get long, they loose efficiency because you are left to ‘hunt’ for the selection you want and can slow things down a lot. See the attached image of the context menu as it exists now. Adding 4 or more items to the CabWriter sub-menu is getting into that area of inefficiency. This is why I think it mare be more efficient to have a toolbar that is customize-able by the user. If a user thinks that locking/unlocking sub-assemblies is something they do often then they can burden their toolbar with the icon. Others can leave it off and use the three steps above. Burdening all users with a very long context menu would be counterproductive I think.

I too would like to hear from others.

Joe…..

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    cabwriter
    Keymaster

I agree with Joe. I would vote for just a cabinet lock/unlock in the context menu because of the sub menu and complexity problem, plus I don’t think it’s a big deal to unlock the whole cabinet, do what you need to do, the re-lock it if you want to.

My 2 cents, but looking for other comments…

Thanks,
    Greg

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.