Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

CabWriter Is placing carcass insert tenons on the top and bottom ends of the UPPER cabinet sides. This requires CNC milling on both sides of the carcass sides to cut the insert tenons, and the holes for hinges and adjustable shelves. Am I missing a setup somewhere to require the insert tenons to be placed on either end of the carcass top and bottom? This would place slots on the inside of the carcass sides, the same side as the holes.

cabwriter
    Keymaster

Hi Richard,
    I’m not sure I fully understand what you’re describing. Do you have a SketchUp model you could zip up and send to Joe and I? It might be easier to visualize what you’re describing…

Thanks,
    Greg

Greg, I attached a text file with two pictures. One shows tenons on top/bottom of carcass side, the other shows tenons on the ends of the shelves. Sometimes it does it one way, sometimes the other.

When the tenons are on the carcass sides instead of the shelves, the CNC can’t cut both the tenons (cut from outside of carcass side) and the the holes/slots (cut from the inside of the carcass side)

Rick

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    cabwriter
    Keymaster

Hi Richard,
    I got it now! I couldn’t picture it because I never setup for that combination before. In the top picture, I would say you have the setting on the Base (or Upper) Cabinets tab called Side Position set to “Captured”. In the second photo, it looks like the setting is set to “Outside”. Basically, the job of this setting is to indicate whether you want the cabinet constructed with the top and bottom captured between the sides or have the sides captured by the top and bottom. I don’t understand why it would randomly draw it one way or the other. It should be dependent on the state of that setting. Could you check and see what it’s set to?

Thanks,
    Greg

OK, got it Greg. Outside versus Captured now makes sense. The variable that was making it confusing was I had protected the sides. They didn’t behave as they should have.

Thanks,
    Rick

cabwriter
    Keymaster

Hi Richard,
    Great, glad we got it worked out!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.