Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Steven Konecny
    Spectator

I think I already know the answer, but I wanted to be sure I’m on the right track.

I end up making most of my drawer boxes because of the weird sizes needed in boats and RVs, so I wanted to add the drawer parts I have drawn previously.

When I’m doing integrated drawer fronts, the drawer fronts and backs, trim and face-frame parts would all be from the same stock and thickness. The drawer sides I make from the same 1/2″ ply I use for carcass backs. If I’m doing an applied front, then the front and back is also 1/2″ ply.

So, I was thinking I could use the “Make CabWriter Component” tool to add the drawer parts as custom parts and assign them as “(DWB#) Drawer Box/Number”, changing the Description and Instance as needed.

Do you see any potential problems by doing this?

Thanks,
    Steve

Steven Konecny
    Spectator

Well, unfortunately, I’m not sure this will work after all. I tried making the parts CabWriter Components, but it doesn’t assign a “Comp #”. Every other part, including other custom parts I’ve made, have a component number assigned after I make it a proper part.

I’m sure it would work if I assigned it as a custom part, I just wanted the layer support.

I’ll give a shot as a drawer front, instead.

Steve

Steven Konecny
    Spectator

Hmmmm… That didn’t work either.

But I wonder if my file got corrupted somehow. Now no parts are being assigned a Comp #, even part types that were before.

This might be a bug for Joe. I’ll submit this file to him in the Beta section.

Steven Konecny
    Spectator

It turns out the bug was me.

I renumbered the the cabinet parts and presto, Comp #’s on every part that was missing one.

It does indeed export to Cutlist, too.

Steve

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Hi Steve,

Sorry I wasn’t available to help you with this (I think I was sleeping). But glad you got it worked out on your own. Let me know if you have further problems.

Joe….

Steven Konecny
    Spectator

Thanks Joe,
    I do have a follow-up question, though.

For the imported cabinet drawer boxes, I redrew the sides so they were exactly 1/2″ thick, and after making them custom CabWriter parts, I assigned them the same milled part info as the 1/2″ back panels (Sheet Good, Maple ply).

However, they will not show up on the CNC DXF export. Is this because they are not a cabinet “Box” type? I know I can export the extra 1/2″ parts and then import them after I open the 1/2″ DXF file CabWriter creates. I was just wondering if there was a way to let CabWriter take care of it all and save a couple of steps.

Thanks,
    Steve

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Hi Steve,

How big is your .skp file? Can you zip it and email it to me so I can take a look?

Joe….

Steven Konecny
    Spectator

Thanks for helping me figure this out. Sounds like v2.0 will take care of most of this stuff.

It does export if I make the box parts into a standard custom part, but until v2.0 it doesn’t cut the dado for the box bottom panel.

It’s no big deal. I can make the parts on a separate layer and import them from VCarve. If I want to nest all the parts in one go, that’s easy, too. You can import the extra stuff after you open one of the CabWriter DXF’s, that way they all get nested and cut at the same time.

Steve

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.