Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Steven Konecny
    Spectator

Unless I’m looking at this wrong, it doesn’t look like CabWriter cares about the Sketchup axes as it relates to part orientation. At least, it’s not changing the axes to account for grain orientation. It looks like it makes the grain the industry standard (vertical), without regard to the component axes. But, what if I’m doing something that’s supposed to match mid-century modern/danish style? The grain is horizontal in that case.

I’ve looked through all the tabs and menus and unless I’ve just overlooked it, I don’t see a setting for default grain orientation. I believe this would only apply to sheet good orientation.

Thanks,
    Steve

cabwriter
    Keymaster

Hi Steve,

Sorry for the delayed response on this one also.

You’re right, CabWriter does assume vertical grain direction on cabinet carcass sides and horizontal on the cabinet bottom and vertical on the backs. The length of the part is always in the direction of the grain. Right now, all you can do is disable Auto-Swap for that part in the Extended Entity Info box, but then it just defaults to the longest dimension being the length, which really isn’t what you want either.

In the case you’re talking about, does the grain go front to back on the sides, top and bottom of the cabinet carcass? What about the back?

To accommodate this, we would have to have a parameter that could switch the grain direction default, as you mention; we currently don’t have that. I can add it to the list for future consideration.

Thanks,
    Greg

Steven Konecny
    Spectator

Hi Greg,
    I think I found the answer to this. It is part of CutList Bridge. If you don’t check “Cabinet/Resize Mode” (which I wouldn’t for CNC’ed panels) the “Swap L/W” checkbox remains.

According to Joe’s Cutlist Bridge Documentation:
    “Swap L/W – The user can specify in SketchUp any component whose length and width should be swapped. CutList Plus fx assumes the length field specifies the grain direction. However, there are times when the short dimension of a board should be the grain direction. Check Swap L/W to accomplish this.”

I haven’t actually tried it out yet, but I’m assuming Joe is using Cutlist fx’s DXF export functions, which would pick up this setting and rotate the part.

So, I think I found the answer, in the companion software. I’ll give it a try soon and let you know if it works as hoped.

Thanks,
    Steve

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Hi Guys,

Steve is correct, that does work. See the attached images. In cabinet_mode_auto_swap.png notice that everything is as you might expect them given the rules we use concerning grain direction in cabinets. In swap_length_and_width.png notice that everything is as Steve would want them; i.e.the grain is running in the short side direction. Notice that the bottom is the same in both examples, as it should be. Note that you cannot check Cabinet/Resize Mode and Swap L/W? at the same time and get predictable results. You need to choose one or the other.

By the way, let me congratulate Steve for actually reading the User’s Guide. Take note, Greg! ;<) Joe...

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

By the way, CabWriter does care about axes. First, anything drawn on the Red/Gree plane is a base cabinet. Anything drawn above the Red/Green plane is an upper cabinet. All CabWriter drawn cabinets are drawn at the origin with the Red axis the length of the cabinet. When completed they are moved into place. Back and Side grain direction is assumed t be along the blue axes unless you use something like Swap L&W. So be careful not to change a componet’s axes.

Joe….

Steven Konecny
    Spectator

Uh-oh… I probably messed up my drawing, then.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.