Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    kbranch
    Spectator

I’d like to be able to add filler strips between cabinets. Can this be done today? The way I see it working would be to be able to add a ‘stile’, specify the width of the stile with a dialog box, and not be constrained by any cabinet minimums for this stile. Because the stile would be a single piece, it would not have a corresponding stile and thus not be a ‘cabinet’ in the sense of having a carcass.

Application for this would be if I have certain size cabinets I want to use for the purpose of maximizing materials or for aesthetics, but I need to fill in between the cabinets in order to fill up a wall with a series of cabinets (say a 126″ wall that I want to fill with three 40″ cabinets (total of 120″), the ends of which have panel ends and therefore I will have space in between the cabinets I need to fill.

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Are you asking about frameless cabinets or face frame cabinets? If the cabinets are face frame, simply use connector ends on the two cabinets that are on either side of the gap. Then delete one and edit the other to widen it as appropriate. If it is frameless cabinets, the technique is similar, but you would want to draw the connector stile. See attached images. You also can use SketchUp native tool to create a filler and make it a CabWriter component using the Make CabWriter Component tool. If you have further questions you can email me at jpz@srww.com and we can set up an online demo with join.me.

Joe….

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    kbranch
    Spectator

Thank you Joe – with the solution for face frame cabinets I would essentially draw two cabinet banks (two separate story sticks) and then extending the connector stile of one of them and delete the other, is that correct? Alternatively, if I know the width of the filler stile i want I could edit the default of the connector stile to the filler width required, share the filler stile connector points of the two adjoining cabinets, and delete one of the stiles (which would be overlapping each other).

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

That is correct for the Face Frame style. You can also use a Finish stile on the ‘space’ side since it doesn’t put connector holes in the sides, which you can’t use in this case anyway.

No need to change the default of a Connector (or Finish) stile width. Let’s say you want a 6″ Connector stile. After clicking the first time with the story stick drag the cursor out along the construction line and without clicking a second time type 6″ (or just 6 if your default dimensions are inches) into the VCB. When the dialog box appears, choose Left or Right Connector. CabWriter will draw a 6″ Connector stile. The other stile can be drawn with the default size and then they would not be overlapping and it will be obvious which one to delete.

Joe…..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.