Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    keithcuda
    Spectator

I am having a great deal of difficulty with the section cuts in an elevation view. I am able to perform the section cuts, without any trouble. The real problem is when I make an elevation scene… The scene comes out just fine, so I update it. But when I go back to my Iso-scene or any other scene, the section cuts are still active. So while I am on my iso-scene, I toggle off section cuts, then update that scene. Everything looks fine, until I go back to an elevation scene, the section cuts are no longer there. I am having to toggle section cuts on/off from scene to scene, manually.

I updated sketchup to the latest version, along with CabWriter and I am using a mac with the latest updates. Any ideas?

cabwriter
    Keymaster

Hi Keith,

I have experienced something similar to what you’re describing in the past, but I’ve always been able to toggle the section cuts off and update the scene and it would stay that way. I’ve been meaning to do a short video on this subject, so I’ll prioritize that and try to get it done in the next few days and post it so you can see if there’s something we’re doing differently…

Thanks,
    Greg

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Hi Keith,

You need to create a different style for the scene where you want the section cuts to show. Go to the Styles dialog box and choose the In Model styles. At the moment you probably have only one. Right click on it and choose “Make a copy”. Now assign one of those styles to all the scenes where you do not want section cuts to show. Assign the other to the scenes where you do want section cuts to show. Modify the style that you don’t want section cuts to show with the Edit tab and the Modeling Settings icon. See the attached image.

Joe….

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

By the way, I like to create a number of styles in my SketchUp models and give them descriptive names. For example:
    Perspective – for scenes I want rendered in perspective view and textured.
    Normal (or Woodworking) – for scenes rendered in isometric and do not have sections.
    Sections (or Plan View) – for scenes with sections

Elevation views might be sectioned or not so you might want two more to cover those cases.

I didn’t mention it in the last reply, but whenever you make a change(s) to a style don’t forget to click the “Update Style with changes” button in the Edit tab. See attached image.

Joe….

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    keithcuda
    Spectator

Thanks Joe,

I had a feeling it might have something to do with the styles. I’ll give that a try just like you said, and I will let you know how it turns out.

Also, I spent my entire day, yesterday, remodeling my kitchen on CabWriter. I can across some small details or bugs that didn’t seem correct. I don’t think I could properly describe a couple of them, so I was thinking about making a short video and pointing them out, then emailing it to Joe. It might have to wait till the beginning of next week.
    If that is ok with you…

Cheers
    Keith

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Hi Keith,

How large is your .skp file. If it is not too large you might email it to me. Else we could set up a Dropbox for you to put it in.

Joe…

keithcuda
    Spectator

Joe,

A dropbox would be great. I made a short video showing the problems I was running into, it’s only about 12 minutes long, too long to be emailed. So that would work a lot better

Cheers
    Keith

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Hi Keith,

I sent you an invite to a Dropbox folder to put your .skp and video files in. Let me know when you have done so via email: jpz@srww.com .

Joe…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.