Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Brent Norman
    Spectator

I am a novice into the software, how are windows and doors/entrances drawn into walls?

cabwriter
    Keymaster

Hi Brent,

Welcome to CabWriter. CabWriter itself doesn’t have any special tools for doors and windows. You simply use standard SketchUp tools to punch a hole in the wall wherever there’s a door or window. If you want to get fancy, you can get a huge selection of pre-drawn doors and windows on the SketchUp 3D warehouse. Me personally, I just punch holes in the walls most of the time as I am less interested in a realistic looking door and window as I am with the location of them. Once in awhile, if a customer requests it, I’ll actually put a door or window in.

It does point up that you want to become moderately proficient in SketchUp itself before tackling CabWriter which rides on top of SketchUp.

Hope this helps…

Greg

Brent Norman
    Spectator

thanks Greg, I am going through the training models and am sure I’ll get there. I am pretty proficient with other CAD programs such as Vectorworks and AutoCAD but am looking forward to getting proficient with your software.

cabwriter
    Keymaster

Hi Brent,

Funny, those were the two programs I used before starting on SketchUp. It certainly helps to have knowledge of other CAD programs, but as you may have found already, SketchUp is a bit of a different paradigm which stymied me at first until I met my partner Joe and he taught a class at our school that I took. Turns out, once you learn a few basic tricks, it’s a much simpler program to use than the two you’re used to and it has an enormous amount of power.

If you haven’t already run across it, you should definitely run through Joe’s one hour intro to SketchUp here:

It quickly puts you on the right path and if you have CAD background, you should be able to take off from there. If you want to go deeper, Joe has an online class and a book you can purchase. You’ll find them under SketchUp -> SketchUp training on our website…

Thanks,
    Greg

Brent Norman
    Spectator

yes thanks, I’ve been reviewing Joe’s tutorials. I’ve gone through most of the Sketchup basics as well. The one thing I couldn’t get to work was trying to punch out a door space from the CabWriter wall. I can’t seem to make the push pull work. I can do a cut out using push-pulls with the Sketchup rectangles if I use that to draw walls but haven’t been successful to make the void if I use the wall tool. Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong, I would appreciate it.

cabwriter
    Keymaster

Hi Brent,

Cool, glad to hear you’re making your way through the tutorials. Just to clarify, are you saying that if you draw a wall using native SketchUp tools, that you can use the rectangle tool to punch a hole through the wall, but if you use the wall tool, you’re unable to do the same thing? If so, that’s a new one on us. The wall tool simply uses the native SketchUp tools to draw the wall. I’ve punched tons of holes in walls that were made using the wall tool. Is there any chance you could make a little movie capturing your screen while you’re trying to do the operation and send it to us so we can try and spot something? Do you know how to do that? If not, we’ll do something else…

Thanks,
    Greg

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Hi Brent,

I suspect the problem you are having is one of two issues:

1. You are not using Edit Component to punch the hole through. When CabWriter creates a wall it make it a component. Simply right click on it and choose Edit Component.
    2. The wall may be locked. If it appears outlined in red when you select it, it is locked. Select it, then right click on it and the choose Unlock.

Joe…..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.