Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Lynn Hinman
    Spectator

Joe,
    I have used a simple stand alone cabinet program that allows me to identify the drawer slide manufacture and it will adjust the hole location for the specific manufacture’s slides, that would be a good addition. I have different brands of slides and their holes are not in the same location. I can manually adjust them once I import to Aspire now.

I know you are looking at blind dados, I would really like this function (available in my other program). With Aspire and the use of templates, it automatically cuts the dados and tongues to the correct dimensions using z0 at the CNC top. I can draw and create them manually now but it is more timefor the design.

As you mentioned add fixed toe kicks, that is the only way I have built cabinets. I know there is a place for the ladder base, it is just not the way I was taught.

For creating a raised panel door, I assume I would use the follow me tool in sketchup to show how it would look to a customer. I would like to see this in the next version.

For a slide out drawer, I would like to see it with a curved side in the front section. This provides taller sides and backs with a small lip on the front making it easier to place items on the shelf. Not necessary an all pull out shelves, just some. I can make that in sketchup but would like that as an option in the program.

For the individual who mentioned the price for Aspire. Aspire is really focused on 3D design, there is no need to purchase this program for cutting cabinets. I have been using my CNC for 7 years and knew that I would be doing 3d modeling which is why I bought Aspire. Vectric does have a great upgrade program – if you upgrade to a better version, you only pay the difference of the price so start with cut 2D Pro.

Finally, thank you for working so hard to get the comprehensive videos done and others posted so quickly. I have watched almost everything and learned so much.

Lynn.

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Hi Lynn,

You can specify a drawer slide manufacturer and hole positions on the Drawers tab of the CabWriter Settings dialog. See attached image. See attached image. What we have not supplied is a drop down box that allows you to choose the specific slide. We may in the future, but in our attempt to keep the price of CabWriter low we have tried to avoid the ‘providing all features’ trap. In this case we felt that most cabinetmakers use one or two manufactures and one or two of their slide lines. Perhaps we should look at this decision again.

We will have dadoes and rabbets in revision 2.0. I can’t commit to when it will be available at the moment, but I would guess some time this fall.

We will also provide the ability for the user to provide a cross section(s) of their door frame style and we will use it to draw the door, draw and other fame and panel pieces. Not sure if we will provided arched door/drawer capability in revision 2.0, but it will not be far behind.

Could you provide a SketchUp model of the slide out drawer you are describing. I am not picturing it clearly.

I thinks we will provide integrated toe kicks in the next release. Though my personal opinion is that ladder bases are quicker and more accurate to install, less costly and makes better use of plywood optimization.

I am glad you have found the videos useful. Stay tuned, there are more videos and blogs coming. If you have something specific you would like covered please don’t hesitate to mention it.

Greg, please comment if you have anything to add.

Joe….

Drawers Tab of CabWriter Settings Dialog Box

Lynn Hinman
    Spectator

Joe,

The front is shorter than the sides and backs to allow items to be place on it easier and provide support in the back. At the front it is 3″. The side has has a roman ogee profile curving up to the side height of 8″; the back is 8″.

I do no know how to add the image or file to this forum so I sent it to you in an email.

Thank you for the settings image.
    Lynn

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Hi Lynn,

At the moment we do not draw the drawer boxes. Rather we just provide the overall dimensions. Our assumption is that people either purchase their drawer boxes (most professional cabinet shops do), or if they make them in their shop they probably use many different construction techniques. Also, the slide out shelves come in many shapes. We would not be able to cover all of them. So it is likely we will just continue to provide the overall dimensions.

Joe….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.