Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dan Hawk
    Spectator

Hi,
    Hoping someone can help. Pretty new to Cabwriter and woodworking and could use some advice please.

Problem statement:
    I’m drawing 2 simple cabinets – connector styles, One base and one base with drawers.
    In the project I adjusted the side partition thickness to 16mm. That’s the plywood thickness i have.
    In the project, i ensured the doors “front” remains 19mm, as this is the thickness of the composite door material.

The cabinets render fine, but where the two cabinets meet, there is a space (because i made the sides 16mm). It looks to me that because the doors/drawers fronts are too big.

How do I make the doors slightly smaller? Please have a look at the images attached. The doors need to be smaller and be offset – maybe that will then allow the cabinets to join?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    cabwriter
    Keymaster

Hi Dan,

Joe might have to fact check me on this one, but the first thing would be to look at your setting for connector stile width. Even though you’re not drawing the connector stile, I believe CabWriter is still looking at that parameter do determine what you might think of as a virtual connector stile with and since your side setback is set to zero you’re getting a gap. The side setback parameter of zero tells cabwriter to flush the virtual connector stile edges with the face of the cabinet sides. So, if you have a 38mm connector stile width and 16mm x 2 sides = 32mm, then you would end up with a 6mm gap between the cabinets. So, the first thing to try is to set your connector stile width to 32mm. It might also work to put the side setback to 3mm, but that might cause other problems. Let me know if this works…

Thanks,
    Greg

Dan Hawk
    Spectator

Hey Greg

Thanks for the tip! Appreciated.

I’ve looked through all the project tabs but cant see where i need to make that stile size adjustment. Could you please point me to it? I tried to set side setback parameter (Base Cabinet Tabt/Base Carcass section/side setback parameter to something like 3 or 10 but saw no change)

PS. I also observed something interesting. When i story-stick one cabinet at a time (connector style), they are placed snug next to each other, but the moment you select to redraw all (although you made no changes), that gap is introduced. So your point about the stile width makes total sense. If only i knew where to change it! 🙂

Thanks in advance,

Dan

cabwriter
    Keymaster

Hi Dan,

Sorry, I should’ve been more specific. It’s on the Face Frame tab. You can see it in the screenshot below. The checkbox will not be checked as in this example, but it still uses the width of the connector stile to make the calculation, I believe. Let me know how you make out…

Thanks,
    Greg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Hi Dan,

Sorry for the late reply. But Greg’s comments are correct. So follow that approach and let us know how you make out.

Joe….

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.