Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jTr
    Spectator

Reading user’s manual before downloading trial and diving into the training – not seeing much about the doors and drawers, other than outside dimensions are generated.
    Doors and Drawers generate a very large volume of parts to produce in a shop. If you are building in house, can CabWriter generate a parts list to do so, or only thickness, width and length values of the completed door or drawer? What to do if you are not ordering from an outside source?

jeff

cabwriter
    Keymaster

Hi Jeff,
    Thanks for getting in touch; very wise to get up to speed before diving into the trial.

For doors, we do give a cutlist and draw it part by part. For, drawers, though, you’re right we just draw a cube representing the drawer and give the outside dimensions. We did this because as a low cost program, we had to make choices as to what to implement out of the gate. Since the majority of pro shops purchase their drawers, it seemed like a good compromise. However, we are considering adding the capability in upcoming versions. Most likely, we would continue to draw a cube representing the drawer, but if we know how the drawer is constructed (side thickness, construction method, dovetail allowance, etc.) we could at least generate an accurate cutlist even though the drawer is not drawn part by part. We have also had requests to support things like Blum’s Legrabox, which is a similar problem; generating a parts list based on a set of formulas. In the short term, it wouldn’t be too difficult to create a spreadsheet that took the outside dimensions of the drawers that we provide and turn it into a parts list.
    So, in summary, we can accommodate you on the doors right now and hope to support drawer cutlists in the future…

Thanks again,
    Greg

jTr
    Spectator

Greg,
    Sounds good – I now see in chapter 11 (exporting), some cut list examples do indeed show individual parts for 5 piece door/drawer faces = relief!
    As for the drawer boxes, not a deal breaker for me. As you stated – pretty simple spreadsheet side bar. I’ve been a Sketchup user for 12 years, Cutlist Plus for at least 8, and VCarve Pro since I bought a CNC in 2012. You can imagine how excited I was to discover Cutlist Bridge was leading up to this plugin!
    I’ll stop reading, download free trial and begin working on training with the videos now.
    Thank you!

Jeff

cabwriter
    Keymaster

Hi Jeff,

Wow, with your experience, you should have no problem at all with CabWriter! Enjoy your free trial and please let us know if you have any questions or comments when you get into it.

Thanks,
    Greg

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.