Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    lesdt
    Spectator

Hi- Is there a way to draw a divided cabinet as an upper? I have a low base and then I need to draw an assortment of openings to sit on the base.

Thanks

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Hi Les(?),

The “assortment of openings” that sit on the base, is that cabinet more shallow than the base? Does it need drawers as well as doors? As it stands now you can draw an upper cabinet on the base and specify no doors and no holes of any kind. Then use the Insert a Door and Insert a Drawer tools. But you would need to add mid rails, mid_stretchers and fixed shelves manually.

You question has me thinking. If we had a divided upper cabinet people could design cabinets that looked like old style Hoosiers.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hoosier+cabinet&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I am going to look at adding that capability. Thanks for the suggestion.

Joe….

lesdt
    Spectator

Hi Joe- The upper cabinet is some shallower then the base. I’m drawing it the way you say as an upper on the base, but I thought there would surely be a more efficient way the to draw all the extras in manually. I think the divided upper cabinet would do the trick beautifully! Like the old style Hoosiers. That’s a good example. I used to build panels for Hoosier cupboards.

Thanks, Les

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Hi Les,

You convinced me with your first post. I have coded the Divided Upper and am debugging it now. I hope to have it out in the next week or so.

Joe…

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Hi Guys,

A Hoosier coming to a CabWriter near you!

Joe….

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

OK, I added a Divided Upper and it can have drawers; it’s the only upper that can. I added this capability so that a Hoosier, which is an upper that starts at counter top height, can have drawers near the bottom. However, drawers can be added anywhere along the Divided Upper’s height. Pretty cool!

I still have some cleanup to do. Don’t think I will get this out until next week.

Joe…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    lesdt
    Spectator

Looks lovely. Can’t wait to try it!

Les

pastorjmcgouirk
    Spectator

Hello Mr. Joe,
    not sure if this is under the correct topic line; trying to grasp the rule of thumb when changing drawer placements. Now I keep tinkering with dimensions to get green light, but was wondering if there’s a hard and fast ratio to keep in mind?
    thanks
    pastorj

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Hi Pastor John,

I assume you are asking a question about design philosophy and not a “How do I” question. I can give you my general rules for drawer sizing, but they are only guidelines. I break them a lot, depending on what I am trying to accomplish. In a 1, 3 or 4 drawer bank I maintain the size of the top drawer across all three. This is both because it looks aesthetically pleasing and there are drawer opening and drawer height sizes that are considered standard in the industry. For example, a 5″ opening and a 4″ drawer box height is pretty common. The 2 drawer bank is generally equal size drawers. Aesthetically I like the 4 drawer box to have the standard first box size as I mentioned previously and the remaining three of equal size. But it sometimes looks great to have all 4 drawers the same size. The three drawer box usually has graduated drawers for the bottom two. Approximately a 2-inch difference with the middle drawer being smaller than the bottom.

That said, all of this is a guideline. You, the designer and or consumer has the last word. If I have misunderstood your question and you were asking about how to use the red/green flags to choose a drawer size, let me know and I can help with that too.

Joe….

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

By the way, in the Hoosier that I modeled in this post, I copied the drawer sizes from an antique I have at home. The upper drawers were especially driven from a functionality need. The square looking one I believe was used for flour storage and sifting.

Joe….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.