Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi, I played around with Cutlist Bridge and found it to be a great, easy to use plugin to export material to Cutlist Plus fx. Will there be an update available for Sketchup Version 2017?

Kind Regards,
    David

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Hi David,
    I haven’t completely tested CutList Bridge 4 or DXF with SketchUp 2017. But rest assured that I will and if it needs updating I will do so. I should have this done by the end of the week. So you might want to check back next week.
    Joe…

Hi Joe, I won’t be able to buy cabwriter as it is priced out of my range for the few cabinet projects I get. So my question is will CutList Bridge still be available after the release of CabWriter 1.0?

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Hi John,

Yes, CutList Bridge 4 (and follow-ons) will still be available as its own extension. Just curious about the pricing. Are you a professional cabinetmaker? Which of the editions (Home, Pro or CNC) were you hoping to purchase?

Joe….

Hi Joe and Greg,

You have written a great program in CabWriter, I’ve enjoyed playing with it. I started working with my Father when I was ten, we’ve been cabinet makers for at least four generations amateur and professional. I turn seventy in June. I work in Washington County Maine – the poorest county in the US. Custom cabinet jobs are rare , here you turn to whatever is on offer. mostly houses and rehab projects. I was interested in the Pro version, but my last full cabinet project was two years ago! I just can’t justify the cost of the program. I use Cutlist FX in planning stages backed up by story sticks (physical ones), because as you know a slight error in data entry results in a costly mistake.

I also couldn’t find your wood moisture calculator in recent CabWriter beta releases and that program is one I use whatever the project.

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Hi John,

Thank you for your kind words. I started woodworking at about the same age. In fact that is where I got the idea for the story stick. I was about eight at the time and my brother who was 12 years my senior was a young carpenter. My family was poor and everyone worked and supported the family in whatever way they could. My brother was building a house for my sister. When completed he started to build kitchen cabinets. I have vivid memories of him asking my sister what she wanted for cabinets and he would record it on a stick about 10′ long and about an inch square in cross section. I remember asking him what he was going to do with the stick and remember him calling it a story stick and how he would bring it to the shop in lieu of shop drawings. The cabinets, by the way, were entirely made of plywood, including the door/drawer fronts and boxes; pretty common in the fifties. When Greg and I started on this project it seemed natural to me to use the story stick paradigm and it has worked out great.

I am sending you an installation file for Construction Plus which has the moisture calculator extension. I will send it to your email address. Let me know if you have any problems.

Joe….

Anonymous

Though much cheaper than most professional Cabinet making programs, the current US$/SA RAND exchange rate (I’m living in Africa (Namibia)), makes it very costly for CabWriter Pro together with Sketchup Pro. I am sure the software will pay itself with one or two projects but currently a no go for a startup like me.

For now I am happy with the combination of Sketchup Make with Brighter3D for rendering, Cutlist Bridge and Cutlist Plus. This is my “poor man’s” solution :-). It takes a little bit longer with the designs but the results are amazing.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.