Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Steven Konecny
    Spectator

First off, this might be specific to those of us who have a CNC in our shop. This is really focused on location specific drilling, which I’m thinking may only be practical on a CNC.

OK, so, I was having some problems with holes not exporting or causing errors when attempting create documentation (I’m using 2.0-1.1.18 beta). Joe was kind enough to spend time debugging my issue, and it basically boils down to a Trimble problem. Copying arrays of holes, or even a single hole seems to randomly cause entity problems in Sketchup (i.e. the copy ends up being something other than a circle, in my case it was a curve entity on one side and a circle entity on the other). Not much to do other than make each hole individually, which can be a real time sink if you need to make a bunch of them. I emailed some potential solutions to Joe, but I thought I’d post it out here, too, in case someone has more logical/easier/whatever ideas.

System Holes: These are the through holes used to bind cabs together, or for the confirmat screws on side panels. This is useful when customizing a cabinet for a non-standard opening, if you need to add a divider panel, or any reason you need system holes along the face of a panel
    1) Joe has already built a great construction line extension. I was hoping it could be leveraged (or modified) to parse the location where system holes are needed. Joe’s construction line extension inserts a construction point at each end, with a construction line in between.
    2) Draw a line, on-center, across the face of the part in question, where the holes should be drilled. The construction points would determine where and the quantity to calculate.
    3) Select a drill holes function, similar to what Joe’s done for adding a door or drawer front. CabWriter already knows how to determine how many holes are needed, and where to place them in side panels. I’m hoping that code could be leveraged to look at the line drawn, looks at each end, the maximum hole distance, and calculate the number of holes needed and where they go.

Drawer Holes: Similar to above, but these are partial, stopped holes, that don’t go through to the other side. I envision this as useful for pull-out drawers behind a door, or wherever a customizable drawer bank is needed (i.e. the end user may want to move around the drawers to optimize the space based on whatever they put in it).
    1) As above, Joe’s construction line tool might be able to mark where the drawer slide is needed. In this case, the construction point at the end of the line would determine the on-center location for the first hole, the front of the slide. Alternatively, mark the front of the cabinet box (not to be confused with drawer box) on-center, and an offset dialog box could be used to change/modify the setback for the first hole.
    2) Select a drill holes function, similar to what Joe’s done for adding a door or drawer front. CabWriter already knows what kind of drawer slides you are using, and the offsets to drill the holes from the “Drawers” tab. Again, hoping that code could be leveraged to draw the holes for the drawer slides.
    3) A dialog box would ask about:
    a)Horizontal offset; if your measuring from the front of the box, instead of using the construction point to determine the first hole’s location.
    b)Repeat holes
    -Drop down box with None, Up, Down
    -Vertical spacing, if something other than 32mm is needed
    -Number of rows to repeat, since you don’t necessarily want the holes to keep going to the end of the panel.

Shelf Holes: I’m thinking this is only useful if you have shelf holes that are different from what CabWriter already does pretty well. I haven’t given this one much thought, since it does do a good job already, but I’m sure non-standard shelf hole drilling would be welcome to those who would use it.

I look forward to some alternative ideas, or riffs on what’s already presented here.

Thanks again to Joe for all his hard work.

Steve

Steven Konecny
    Spectator

Thinking about this a little more…

Maybe the story-stick concept could be further utilized here. Like when placing a cabinet, pressing command(mac) or control(PC) changes what the marking tool is doing. This could be used to switch between “Drill my first hole here, on-center”, to “Drill my first hole using an offset”. I see this applicable to both System and Drawer slides; more so for slides, as you may want the software to determine the system hole setbacks from the edges.

This would allow you to Start by pushing a “Drill Holes” button, and end with pressing the “END” key, like we already do with cabinet layout. This reinforces the existing process, and leverages it for a related process.

Just a thought.

Steve

Steven Konecny
    Spectator

Oh, one more thought on the story-stick thing.

When you draw walls, ctrl and alt make it do different things. This could similarly be used to switch between a system hole and a drawer slide hole. Maybe alt makes an icon with a double-sided arrow (instead of a red triangle) for a system hole, indicating it draws a circle on two faces. For a drawer slide it’s a small single sided arrow, indicating a hole only on one face.

Joe, my wife says I’m full of it all the time. This must be what she means. I’m just full of ideas today! 🙂

Steve

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Hi Steve,

I have read and understood these requests, and why they may be necessary given the problem of copying and pasting holes with native SketchUp tools.I put these on the wish list and will discuss them with Greg. No promises, but I’ll see what we can do to get it into version 2.0.0. It may be a week or so before I can be more specific but I will get back to you on this.

Joe….

Steven Konecny
    Spectator

Hurrah for Joe!! 😉

cabwriter
    Keymaster

Great brainstorming, Steve! Lots of good ideas in there. As Joe mentioned, we’ll kick it around on our end and see what makes sense. I’ve also run into the hole problem in the past; it would have been nice for them to allow hole copying, but it’s not to be for now.

Just to clarify some terminology above, in CabWriter, we use System Holes to mean the holes used for drawer slides, hinge holes, and shelf pin holes which typically don’t go all the way through the cabinet side. This is consistent with the 32mm system conventions. We use the term Construction Holes for holes that go all the way through for things like Confirmat screws which is also consistent with the 32 mm system. We made up a hole type called Connector Holes that we drill separately all the way through which are used to bind cabinets together. That said, you could also punch some of the system holes all the way through to use for that purpose as well.

I like the general concept of what you’re describing. We should be able to turn it into something useful…

Thanks,
    Greg

Steven Konecny
    Spectator

Ah ha! I couldn’t, for the life of me, remember what you were calling all those holes… As you can tell, I guessed on the terminology there. Hopefully you get the gist of what I was going for.

I really love your software and want it to be successful. If you or Joe want to call on me for more brainstorming, or just clarification of an idea, I’m at your disposal. And, I won’t feel bad if you take these, twist them around, and come out with an even better solution in the end. Use them for a launching pad, or toss them in the round file… I’m all for the best possible outcome for everyone.

Best Regards,
    Steve Konecny

Steven Konecny
    Spectator

Another thought about System Holes, as they relate to drawer slides. (I’ll get it right from now on!)

I just came across an instance where I don’t want the drawer box to extend as far back as possible. Might be nice to have an override for the box length, too. I see it pulling directly from the “Drawer Depth” column on the Drawer tab and displaying the possibilities available as a drop-down selection.

I see this showing up if you’re drilling with a “Drill my first hole using an offset” method, where you mark the front of the cabinet (or panel edge). Since it already knows the cabinet depth, it could exclude all the options that would extend beyond the back panel (or first obstacle, like a side panel if you’re making a non-standard opening from the side of a cabinet), and only show the lengths that would fit. This would also come in handy if avoidance logic was just too much to develope easily. This could be a quicker solution to deploy (although Joe is pretty darn good at this, it could be a non-issue for him).

If you we’re using the story stick to mark with a “Drill my first hole here, on-center” method, the other end of the stick could be used to mark the maximum box length. In this case, you wouldn’t need an offset dialog, or a box length override.

Steve

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.