Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Is it possible/practical to have a field in the parts list and labels that would print in the color of the SU layer? The greatest problem I have in using CutList Is in organizing the cut pieces into individual stacks for each cabinet. For a larger Kitchen project there may well be over 1,000 pieces which initially are produced by the layout diagrams Chaos! Having each cabinets parts color coded would considerably shorten the time it takes to reorganize the parts and cut down on mistakes.

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Hi J,

I am the software guy on our team of two. Greg Larson is the guy with the cabinetmaking knowledge, so I am going to let him answer this from a “practical” view point. I will take a stab at the “possible” viewpoint. If I understand your question you want to break cabinets into colors, one color per cabinet. Further, your question seems to indicate that you would like the layers to be coded with those colors and each layer contain a cabinet (one cabinet per layer).

If you have used CabWriter at this point you will notice that the SU layers are actually sub-assemblies (boxes, doors, drawers, end panels, face frames etc.), not cabinets. Changing this would be a major change to CabWriter.

I assume that when you say “The greatest problem I have in using CutList Is” you mean CutList Bridge, the cut list software that comes with CabWriter; and when you refer to “labels” you are referring to the labels printed out by CutList Plus fx. Is that correct? It would be possible to add a color field to CutList Bridge, because that is in our control, but the labels are printed by CutList Plus fx; a third party. He would have to take the field we provide in CutList Bridge and provide a color field in the cut list and also a color block on the label. I am not sure how amenable he would be to making that change. I know him well and can feel him out. But I would like to hear Greg’s comments on practicality. He has built about five or more kitchens using CabWriter and does the kind of sorting and stacking you are describing all with the cabinet number that appears on the label currently.

Joe…

Hi Joe,
    Thanks for your reply. First I haven’t got cabwriter yet, I can’t find a download link and assume (the mot dangerous word in the language) that I must be accepted as a Beta tester before I get the link.

I mean that my problem is at the time that I go to the shop and start cutting the materials I find that converting the CutList Bridge > CutlistFx spread sheet to parts for individual cabinets is mind numming The spread sheet for a full kitchen’s worth of cabinets runs from 7 to 10 pages of very dense data. I check off each piece and apply a label as i go, but still find mistakes (mine). I am after all “a bear of little brain”.

I did not realize that that the SU layers are subassemblies that would indeed make my idea extremely difficult to impossible.

Thanks again for all your work.

cabwriter
    Keymaster

Hi John,

You’re right that it can get kind of daunting with the large number of parts in a kitchen. As Joe mentions, it’s practically pretty difficult to transmit a color to either a spreadsheet or to Cutlist Plus which would have to be changed. However, I think you would be able to accomplish what you want without colors.

If you look at the attached screenshot, you’ll see that there are two columns that CabWriter populates that get sent to Cutlist Plus. One is Sub-assembly, and the other is Description. The sub assembly column can either contain the SketchUp layer or the sub-assembly attribute which is something like C3LFF, which is also part of the description. In this example, the sub-assembly column is the layer name and the description contains the attributes. This means that you could sort your cutlist by layer, which would be upper or lower carcass, face frame, doors, drawers, etc. Also, you can use the attributes for sorting. C3LFF means cabinet #3 lower face frame rail. So, you can sort by cabinet number or type of part or both, which is pretty powerful. After that, you can sort by thickness, width, and length, of course. This means you could isolate just the face frame parts, for example, and further by upper and lower if you want, then also sort by cabinet if you choose to. I think this would accomplish the same thing as sorting by color, but much easier to implement. Give it a try when you get the software and see if that would work for you.

Thanks,
    Greg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

John,

Greg mentioned the cut list that gets sent to CutList Plus fx for sheet optimization. CutList Plus fx can also print labels from the CutList Bridge data that it imports. See the attached label below.

Part: (1 of 1) tells you that this is a unique part, only one like it in the model.

The second line is the thickness of the material followed by the overall width and length of the part.

C4LB1 Back means it is the back of Box #1 in cabinet #4 which is a lower (base) cabinet. There is a separator and then SA: Base Boxes. This means that the sub-assembly is a Base Box on the Base Boxes layer.

The fourth line is the material type and name.

The fifth line, W(17 1/4″) means that the width was cut larger than final dimension (see 17 1/2″ on the second line) and must be cut to a final dimension of 17 1/4″. Length and thickness can also be set to oversize.

So this label helps tremendously in helping to sort parts into stacks.

CutList Plus fx produced label from CutList Bridge data.

Joe…

Thanks Greg and Joe, That should do what i need. I look forward to getting the link to your program/ extension. I do use labels in my work, but this should make it much easier to coordinate the labels with both the spread sheet and layout drawings when I’m in the shop.

I look forward to using CabWriter.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.