Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    CDN
    Spectator

First off… Great job Greg & Joe on the current release. With more cabinet options, additional videos and more settings… it’s an update for sure.

As I mentioned when initially considering beta testing for you guys that my goal is to provide input here if I could in whatever fashion. I don’t feel like I’ve offered much help because the program itself for me does what I would need it to do for side jobs and I personally haven’t found anything that sticks out. That being said I want to let you know what I think CNC users will ask. The goal is to do the least amount of post work as possible. If parts can be modified and exported along with the rest of the default parts I feel changes everything. Cabinet Writer is awesome, I really am a huge fan because I can get drawings from designs & cut lists very fast. I have some questions regarding how to add custom bores properly to parts and cutout/millings. I wanted to know if you guys could explain to me some work around to simply have custom bores and millings added to existing parts if need be? I need custom size bore holes to show up on their own layer and it seems like holes don’t show up on modified parts unless they actually plunge in the models parts physically. If i draw a bore on a part and export it it doesn’t show up, but if I plunge into the part it does. How would you guys do those custom millings in order to show up in exported DXF files as a separate layer? Ideally when when I import my DXF files into software like CUT2D Pro those bores will be on there own layer just like 5mm shelf support holes and 3mm construction holes. The same goes for cutout/milling for lets say plumbing pipes on a back of a cabinet. It seems to me that when I make some custom holes on a few cabinet gables of a different size that aren’t in the CabWriter parameters interface that they show up as a single layer even though they might be a few different sized bores. I do lots of integrated hardware and as we each know they all have there own boring template necessary for install. I’ve been playing around with CabWriter a lot lately and this would be awesome for real projects in the future as I am hoping to present this to work in the future when CabWriter is available to the public.

Hope you can help 🙂

Cheers,
    Jason

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    cabwriter
    Keymaster

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the kind words, I’m glad you’ve had some success with CabWriter so far. The issues you bring up are good ones; we do know that we have some gaps to fill in the CNC/DXF Export area. This is good feedback to help us determine the grand strategy that we need to take in a future release. Our plans are to do an initial release with the DXF stuff basically as it is, then to really analyze what we need to do in this area and make the changes to get it right in “version 2.0” so to speak. Since this will be a pretty major enhancement, we don’t want to hold up the initial release. We want to not only cover what you are talking about, but also to support dado and rabbet construction methods, amongst others, and be able to export that geometry properly to the DXF as well.

In the meantime, there are a couple of things you can do to get around the problems you are seeing to to some degree. Some of what we are dealing with is limitations within SketchUp. For example, you are correct, we don’t really have a way to detect when you draw a circle on the surface of a part, so you need to get into component edit mode and punch a hole in the part. Right now, we are assuming that if the hole goes all the way through, it’s a Construction Hole and if it only goes part way through, it’s a System Hole and they show up on the corresponding layers. So, you’re also right that if you put a large circular hole in a part and it went all the way through, for example, it would show up on the Construction Hole layer. Of course, that is not helpful because you wouldn’t be using a drill bit to drill the hole, you’d be cutting it out with a different bit. We need to think about how we handle those cases in the future, so we appreciate you bringing it up; we’ll make sure it’s covered in anything new we add. For now, as long as you punch the hole some depth into the part, it’ll show up on the DXF, but not on the layer you want. I’m not sure if a rectangle will show up or not, it might only be circles. What you could do is go into VCarve Pro, import the DXF, create the layers you want, and manually move those few geometries onto the appropriate layers. I realize it’s not optimal, but it’s all we can do at this point.

Let me know if this addresses your concerns, at least in the short term, until we can add some new features in a future release. We want to make sure we architect a solution that works for many different situations and not just patch a hole.

Thanks again for the input,
    Greg

CDN
    Spectator

Concerns addressed and thanks for explaining. We are on the exact same page as to the work arounds. Your response is what I was expecting in regards to the moving vectors/geometries in Cut2D to their own layer. No big deal…at all! I just wasn’t sure if I missed something in the tutorials, which I watched twice 🙂

In regards to the DXF files, the exported files are very decent. I like the way the DXF files work when using something like Cut2D, it’s inexpensive and very user friendly and the automatic flattening of parts is awesome. Alongside with CutList Plus it’s everything you need to create jobs fast, it just saves insane amounts time/money.

Cheers,
    Jason

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by CDN.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.