Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Hi Folks,

We will be releasing a Beta version of CabWriter in a few weeks. So please check in every few days for updates.
    I am currently coding frameless cabinet design. One of the issues I am struggling with is how to handle corner cabinets.Greg has researched this a little and in his research, he has found a couple of different methods; the simplest seems to be what is outlined in the Blum catalog for Diagonal 45º Hinges as shown in the image below. This shows a straight sided cabinet with the standard 37 mm system hole setback, then they give a simple formula for calculating door width and reveal.
    Blum 45 Degree Hinge Slide 1

The other method Greg found, using auxiliary hinge plate fillers, is shown in the drawing below.

Blum 45 Degree Hinge Slide 2

We’ve already implemented the 32 mm system in CabWriter because we build our face frame cabinets by building individual carcass boxes and connecting them together just like in frameless; then we flush the face frame with the insides of the carcasses. This allows us to line bore or CNC the system holes and utilize them for the hinges and drawer slides without having to pad out for them. So, since we already have that core figured out, we just need to delete the face frames and grow the doors and drawers to cover the boxes. However, we realize there are other details, like the corner cabinets that need to be implemented to make sure frameless is fully covered. Other questions, for example, are how to handle the light rails for upper cabinets, applied end panels, and regular blind corner cabinets.

Right now, we only have butt joints implemented for carcass construction; we use Confirmat screws, but we hope to have blind dado’s worked out in the future which is nice for CNC. Similarly, cabinet backs are planted or screwed on, but at some point we will have captured backs.

I’m not sure if you already have any Sketchup models for any of your frameless jobs, particularly ones with diagonal corner cabinets, or any corner cabinets that you could share with us? If not, I am working on a sample model for a frameless kitchen. I will post it here when ready and maybe users could help tweak it for us to match what you typically do before we go and implement anything in code.

Thanks for any help you can provide us.

Joe….

Anonymous

Dear Joe,
    This is how I make my frame-less corner cabinets – Please follow Dropbox link. I use 165 deg concealed hinges on the doors.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dmul9523kofo9cq/AADM0dRE3FZD9sicTzgel7Yva?dl=0

David

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Thanks David,
    Just curious. Do you do diagonal corner cabinets?
    Joe….

Anonymous

Hi Joe,
    I only built faceframe diagonal corner cabinets before. All cabinetmakers in my country (or at least the ones I know) either build the L-shape corner cabinet or the one with the blind panel.
    David

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.