Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    zorsim
    Participant

Downloaded today. Installed. Mac os 10.10.5. Sketchup pro 2016, clean install, application support cleaned prior to fresh install. Started to work with introduction video. Having problem inserting new cabinet with story stick. I got until 21:30 in introduction video, and when I press end on my keyboard. Nothing happens. Here is my ruby error.

Error: #<TypeError: no implicit conversion to float from string>
    /users/zoransimcic/library/application support/sketchup 2016/sketchup/plugins/cabwriter/cw_methods.rbe:1448:in `format_length’
    /users/zoransimcic/library/application support/sketchup 2016/sketchup/plugins/cabwriter/cw_methods.rbe:1448:in `format_dimension’
    /users/zoransimcic/library/application support/sketchup 2016/sketchup/plugins/cabwriter/model_defaults.rbe:32:in `set_cutlist_bridge_face_frame_defaults’
    /users/zoransimcic/library/application support/sketchup 2016/sketchup/plugins/cabwriter/face_frame.rbe:53:in `initialize’
    /users/zoransimcic/library/application support/sketchup 2016/sketchup/plugins/cabwriter/cabinet.rbe:129:in `new’
    /users/zoransimcic/library/application support/sketchup 2016/sketchup/plugins/cabwriter/cabinet.rbe:129:in `construct_cabinet’
    /users/zoransimcic/library/application support/sketchup 2016/sketchup/plugins/cabwriter/story_stick.rbe:464:in `end_cabinet’
    /users/zoransimcic/library/application support/sketchup 2016/sketchup/plugins/cabwriter/story_stick.rbe:905:in `block in box_selector’
    /users/zoransimcic/library/application support/sketchup 2016/sketchup/plugins/cabwriter/story_stick.rbe:989:in `call’
    /users/zoransimcic/library/application support/sketchup 2016/sketchup/plugins/cabwriter/story_stick.rbe:989:in `close’
    /users/zoransimcic/library/application support/sketchup 2016/sketchup/plugins/cabwriter/story_stick.rbe:989:in `block in box_selector’
    SketchUp:1:in `call’

Help! 🙂

• This topic was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by zorsim.
    chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Hi zorsim,

Did you change a default or are you using the “factory” defaults? The error you are getting seems to indicate a CutList Bridge default that is expected to be a floating point number but is instead a character string. Can you send me the file you are working on? If it is too big to email let me know and I can set up a Dropbox to use.

Joe….

zorsim
    Participant

Just started. File is empty. Waiting for first cabinet to appear….

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by zorsim.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Hi zorsim,

The major problem is that you have used commas in some of the defaults instead of the decimal point. If you change them all to decimal points then you will be able to draw cabinet the don’t have drawers. For example the Standard Base cabinet. Before you can drawer cabinets with drawers you have to fix up those defaults on the Face Frame CabWriter Settings tab. In the Base Drawer Front Heights section. Any line that has a red dot means the you have to subtract the amount in the box next to the red light from the other entries in that line. You can spread it across several of the entries. After each change click the Update box to recalculate.

You also may have to adjust the Drawer Heights in the Drawers tab to be sure those will work with the above settings.

I will provide support for the comma in the next release. But in the mean time use the decimal point.

Joe….

zorsim
    Participant

Joe,

I can’t change comas to decimal point. I can but I have to change my number format which is, in most of Euroe, 1.000,00 something… So that is a mayor issue for me. Even if I change 6,7mm to 6.7mm program automatically change it back. So for now the solution is waiting for new beta.
    But I will try to change number format and keep digging.

Zoran…

zorsim
    Participant

After changing my format number to decimal point success.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by zorsim.
    chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Great zorsim. But don’t forget that you need to fine tune you drawer front heights and available drawer boxes too. I will fix the comma problem shortly. I am not a user of metrics and as such am not familiar with standard defaults such as counter top height, counter top thickness, cabinet depth, rail and stile width etc. If you are willing I would love to work with you on a metric set of defaults that can be shipped with CabWriter so that others don’t have to go through the trouble you went through.

Joe….

zorsim
    Participant

Joe,

I have no problem with that. Just send me something (xls table or what you need) that I can fill in with measures. Also, when I exported the file in dxf the file was in inch instead of metric. I have my doubts regarding all this conversions beetwen inch and metric. Going on with video and learning, I hope everything will be ok. Tested this morning dxf import on inc. For now, except the inch to metric conversion everything is ok.

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Hi zorsim,

I appreciate your offer of help and your feedback. I can (and will) fix the DXF output too.

Coming up with a metric set of defaults should be easy from a communications standpoint. We don’t have to involve Excel or any other program besides CabWriter. Change any or all settings you want in the CabWriter Settings dialog box. Then simply use the “Save CabWriter Defaults” tool to save those setting in a file with a meaningful file name. At anytime in the future you can load those defaults into the CabWriter Settings dialog box with the “Open and Load CabWriter Defaults” tool and provide the desired file name. Send that file to me via the Forum or directly to jpz@srww.com . When you use the “Save CabWriter Defaults” tool it stores the saved file in your Plugins folder at:

Plugins\cabwriter\cabwriter_defaults

The full address on my Windows 10 machine is:

C:\Users\Joe\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2017\SketchUp\Plugins\cabwriter\cabwriter_defaults

Once we settle on a complete set of defaults I will either distribute this file, or files if we want a frameles and face frame set, with CabWriter included in the installation file.

Also, I don’t know if you are aware of this, but every part of every cabinet has stored in it the DNA for its creation. That DNA has two components: the defaults used to draw it and the instructions for building that specific cabinet (e.g.draw bank base with two drawers). So you can click on any CabWriter part for a cabinet and use the “Retrieve Cabinets Defaults” tool to load the CabWriter Settings used in that cabinet. So, for example, if you are working on a new project and recall an old project that utilized a set of defaults you wish to use but never saved them, simply open the old project, select a part, use the “Retrieve Cabinets Defaults” tool to load them followed by the “Save CabWriter Defaults” tool to save them. Now you can close the old model file. In the new project use the “Open and Load CabWriter Defaults” tool to place them in the CabWriter settings for the new project.

Joe…

zorsim
    Participant

Joe,

I will prepare it and send it to you. I need some time to get to know CabWriter better.

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

No problem zorsim. Whenever you feel you have something that meets your needs.

In the next few weeks I am going to produce another set of CabWriter tutorials to replace the six part series currently on our website. Those are very old and out of date. So keep your eyes peeled.

Joe…

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Hi zorsim,

I was working on a fix for the comma issue and just noticed that SketchUp itself does not accept a comma as the decimal point and a decimal point as the three digit separator. Is that an issue for you and other European countries that use that notation?

Joe….

zorsim
    Participant

Joe,

Sketchup must use whatever number separators for grouping and decimal is set at Language&Region on mac os or what it is in Windows. I work with point as grouping and comma as decimal. When I want to work with CabWriter I must change it. That is a bit of inconvenience because I don’t work just with CabWriter. For best of my knowledge every EU country use this system.

Hope this helps.

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Zoran,

My bad. I should have realized that you are working on a language version of SketchUp for your region. I am too US centric. My apology. I will have it fixed in the next version. Would you be willing to test the fix for me?

Joe…

zorsim
    Participant

Joe,

Of course. I am here to help you develop this piece of software so that we all benefit from it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.