Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Steven Konecny
    Spectator

So, I found a field called “Bottom Trim Thickness” in the Base Cabinets tab, but I don’t think it does what I thought it would do.

Let me see if I can explain what I’m trying to do…
    There is no bottom rail on the face frame in your default settings. I usually have a bottom FF rail that sit’s about 1/16th proud of the bottom panel. The only reason is to keep stuff from rolling out when the door is open.
    But, not having a bottom rail is no big deal, I actually like the way your doors and frame look. So, what I want to do is put a 13/16″ tall by (n) (maybe 1/2″ or 3/4″) trim piece on the front lip of the bottom panel, behind the door.

Kind of what I have added to the attached drawing. Just a little lip.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Hi Steve,

You found the correct default to set the thickness of the trim (maybe 1/2″ or 3/4″), but, unfortunately, the height of the trim piece is set by the thickness of the bottom. So there is no setting for making it 13/16″ tall. What you can do manually, for each trim piece, is go to the Window > Extended Entity Info dialog box and use the Cabinet/Resize Mode to Resize Width By some amount (probably greater than 1/16″) and then finish size it to 13/16″.

If you want to use a bottom rail that is proud of the bottom by 1/16″ there are defaults that will permit that. Let me know it that is what you want.

Joe…..

cabwriter
    Keymaster

Hi Steve,

You can also just let CabWriter draw the trim the same height as the cabinet bottom and then use the SketchUp push/pull tool to pull it up 1/16″ proud of the cabinet bottom. You would then be wise to set CabWriter Protection so that if you re-draw the cabinet, CabWriter won’t try to re-draw that piece.

Thanks,
    Greg

Steven Konecny
    Spectator

Hi Joe, Greg,
    Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I have a more basic problem, then. When I change that attribute, it doesn’t appear to do anything when I redraw the cabinet. I even made it really big, like 3″, so I would be sure it was doing something, but I still don’t see anything. Maybe I’m looking at the wrong thing?

The trim piece in the post above is something I drew manually. I shortened the base, then simply added that piece to the cabinet. Which I can totally do; but, I would have to do it to every box. I was hoping I could avoid having to make all those changes, then also needing to add data so cutlist can deal with it, too.

Thanks, and sorry for the confusion,

Steve

cabwriter
    Keymaster

Hi Steve,

You might have missed a parameter. There are actually two of them, one to indicate the thickness and one to indicate whether to draw the trim or not. See the enclosed screenshot. The parameter for drawing it might still be set to no. Let me know if that doesn’t work…

Thanks,
    Greg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Steven Konecny
    Spectator

Ah ha. You are right, I completely missed that.
    Problem solved!!

Thanks,
    Steve

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.