Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

mattrich
    Participant

HI,

When using a bottom FF rail, I typically flush the top of the carcass bottom with the top of the bottom rail. I am not able to locate the parameter I should change to adjust this? I’ve included a simple sketch if my wording was not clear.

Thanks, Matt

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Hi Matt,

It’s easy. See the attached images. First, check the “Bottom Rail Draw?” checkbox on the Face Frame tab. Subtract the thickness of the Bottom (3/4″) from the Bottom Rail width (1 1/2″) and set the “Bottom Inset” default on the Base Cabinets tab for that amount. Note one the face_frame_tab.jpg attachd that you have to adjust the Drawer Front Heights because you added the Bottom Rail. Be sure to click Update after each change on any tab.

Joe….

Attachments:

mattrich
    Participant

Thanks Joe,

Yes that did it! I’m still learning the program and trying to figure out all the ends and outs.

I have a question regarding the “base drawer front heights” parameter. I assume that this is the drawer opening height because it is located in the FF tab? I adjusted the measurements as you can see in the attached screen shot below, but when I edited the cabinet to reflect the new measurements they were not the same as what I had entered, as you can see in the attached image below. I have a 30 3/4″ stile. (Assuming my math is correct) a 1 1/2″ top rail and bottom rail, two 1 1/2″ mid rails, a bottom opening of 11 1/2″, a mid opening of 8 1/4″, and a top opening of 5″ should equal 30 3/4″? I am not sure why CabWriter is adjusting my measurements?

Thanks, Matt

Attachments:

mattrich
    Participant

Joe,

I’m sorry, I jumped the gun a little. I am still in the process of watching the video series. So I understand that the “base drawer front heights” parameter is referring to the drawer front as it states and not the opening as I incorrectly assumed. I adjusted the measurements so that the go/no go light on the right turned green and zeroed out, but am still a little confused because the drawer fronts are still not the measurement that I entered? I’m doing something wrong, just not sure what. I have it adjusted to 1/2″ overlay…

Thanks, Matt

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Hi Matt,

No need for an apology. I am happy you are learning CabWriter and am here to help any way I can.

Overlay doors/drawers, at the moment, work a little differently. When CabWriter was originally architected and written it ignored overlay doors on the assumption that most custom cabinetmakers didn’t use them. Over time we had enough people ask for them that I added them, but in a way that caused the minimum re-write at the time. Essentially what happens is that the user selects door/drawer sizes as they had originally; i.e. in the Face Frame tab with the red/green lights, but as thought it were a face frame design with all stiles and rails drawn, and inset drawers. Then CabWiter takes that drawer height, adds two gap and two overlay defaults and draws the door/drawer to that dimension, botu overlayed on the face frame.

As an example, see the attached images of an overlay door/drawer set-up. Notice all stiles and rails are drawn. Though you can’t see it on the Face Frame tab, Overlay is selected on the project tab. In this set-up I used 3/32″ gaps and 3/8″ overlay. The 5 5/16″ top drawers will be drawn 6 1/4″ high; (2 x 3/32″) + (2 x 3/8″) + 5 5/16″ = 6 1/4″.

In the next beta release we are reconfiguring how a user selects a cabinet style and Overlay will be an equal partner with Face Frame (inset) and Frameless. In fact the choices will be Face Frame / Hybrid, Frameless / Hybrid or Overlay. See new_dropdown.jpg. I will take a look at how much code change is needed to adjust the Drawer Height calculator and may change it to accept final overlay dimensions. I know I owe you a video on how to use this calculator, but may wait to see if I make this change so I can include overlay changes.

Joe….

Attachments:

mattrich
    Participant

Thanks Joe,

That makes sense, I was just a little confused, but I understand where the math is coming from now.

Thanks, Matt

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.