Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Rob Yamry
    Spectator

Hey there
    I see that the notches made to attach the face frame to the cabinet carcasses is 3/16in wide and 1/2in deep. What biscuit size is supposed to be used to attach the face frame to the carcass? It seems standard size biscuits would be a bit too thin for 3/16in notch.

Also, in the construction video what is used to makeep the “quark” on the edge of the carcass and face frame? A router with a chamfer bit comes to mind but I’m thinking that may be too much.

Thanks.

cabwriter
    Keymaster

Hi Rob,

Good questions. Actually, the width and depth of the alignment slot is set by parameters in CabWriter. The default width is 5/32″ and 1/2″ depth, but they can be changed. The width of a biscuit is 5/32″, so you’re right, 3/16″ would be too wide. I normally use #10 biscuits and I use a 1/2″ deep groove in the carcass sides and slightly over 1/4″ deep into the face frame. If you go much deeper into the FF, you won’t get a good bite with the pocket screws because they’ll end up in the groove.

As for the Quirk, I typically use a 45º chamfer bit in a trim router, and yes, you have to set it for a very shallow cut.

I hope that answers your questions, let me know if you need any other information.

Thanks,
    Greg

Rob Yamry
    Spectator

Greg
    Thanks for the quick response! I didn’t realize the width of the slot could be changed. The info in your response helps a bunch. Thanks again!

cabwriter
    Keymaster

Hi Rob,

No problem. Just about every aspect of the construction corresponds to a CabWriter parameter, so you can modify them to match your construction method.

Glad we could help.

Thanks,
    Greg

chiefwoodworker
    Keymaster

Hi Rob,

I checked the default for the alignment slot and it comes ‘factory set’ to 5/32″ as Greg said. Thanks for your interest in CabWriter. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you master it.

Joe….

Rob Yamry
    Spectator

Hmm, I wonder how mine got changed then. I’ll check to see whats its set as.

I do have a couple other questions from the construction video. In the video the narrator says he uses some cabinet screws to connect everything up. I thought those had a special name, but I couldnt make it out in the video. Same question for the barrel bolts to connect two carcasses together. Do those have a specific name and/or can you suggest a place to order those from?

Thanks for both your help!

cabwriter
    Keymaster

Hi Rob,

The screws that I use are called Confirmat screws and the size I use for this application is M7 x 70mm. You can purchase them many places, but I get mine from Quickscrews and the part number is 5361C. You also need a special stepped drill bit to drill out for the screws beforehand; they’re so large and have a blunt point, that you have to use the pilot bit or they won’t work. They’re meant for holding plywood together and are very strong.

The connector bolts I get from Hafele, but I think there are other sources. The part number for the Connector Sleeve is 267.01.715 and the mating screw is 022.34.157

Hope this helps…

Thanks,
    Greg

Rob Yamry
    Spectator

Thanks so much for this info! It helps so much. You both have been very helpful.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.