rsewell19
Spectator

Hey Joe,

I’m late to the party so please take the following with a grain of salt. However, the questions surrounding; inset, overlay, frameless, and framed certainly effect me as I am sure it will with many of your future users. I would hazard a guess that the type of end user (production cabinet shops, hobbyists, and everyone in between) will approach these questions from very different perspectives, however I do think that some of the assumptions made earlier in this discussion are a little limiting.

– Overlay cabinets, whether full or half are used as often on frameless cabinets as they are framed. In fact I would guess that the majority of frameless cabinet makers use full overlay most of the time specifically to hide or make less critical the edge material they chose. That being the case, I think there is a real need for frameless cabinets to have an overlay option.
– I generally build three different types of cabinets; Frameless with full-overlay doors (11/16), framed cabinets with inset doors, and a hybrid cabinet that has a 3/4″ wide x 3/4″ thick frame around the entire box other than the base (which is 1-1/2″). The hybrid cabinet allows me to install my slides and hinges directly on the carcass much like frameless cabinets but provides the stability and aesthetic of the frame. All I have to do is set forward the typical 37mm offsets to 18mm. All this to say; I think some flexibility here will be very helpful as more people adopt your software.
– The terms “1/2”, “full”, and “partial” overlay, and the many variables in between have been abused by vendors, suppliers, customers, and builders over the years, and thus it can be very confusing even to a veteran builder as to what is what. The terms are somewhat subjective unless you specify the measurement you want the overlay to be: Thus saying; I want “half” overlays could easily mean a 3/4″ overlay on a 1-1/2″ stile or a 3/8″ overlay on a frameless cabinet. So, I would suggest that the type of hinge (compact frame mounted, Euro carcass mounted), the type of cabinet (Framed, Frameless), and the amount of overlay (3/8″, 1/2″, 11/16″, etc) need to be put into the matrix for this to be ultimately helpful for the manufacturer.
– I would love the ability too show the client the difference between what an overlay and inset cabinet looks like, as well as show them the difference between a wide stile/framed cabinet, and a seamless overlay mounted frameless product.

Hope that helps, even if late.

Cheers
– Richard